Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : Hyundai's half-priced Mercedes

Page 1 of 1 1
Hyundai's half-priced Mercedes
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/8/2008 2:02 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
Hyundai's half-priced Mercedes

Copy-cats!

Korean automaker Hyundai will officially unveil its new Genesis sedan,a large luxury sedan modeled on cars like the Mercedes-Benz E-class and Lexus GL, at the Detroit Auto Show next week.
The car represents a big leap in the U.S. market for Hyundai, a company that was, until recently, known mostly for making inexpensive small cars that competed as cheaper alternatives to entry-level Japanese cars.

Hyundai is trying to move its brand into more expensive territory with each new product introduction. Its mid-size Sonata sedan and the full-size Azera sedan are touted as competing against more expensive Japanese offerings like the Toyota Camry and Avalon.And most recently, the company advertised its new Veracruz mid-size SUV as being easily confused with the far more expensive Lexus RX.

The Genesis will be marketed as a car that offers everything you can get in a Lexus or Mercedes-Benz at about half the cost. Prices will start at under $30,000, Hyundai said.
Hyundai boasts that the new Genesis will have more interior space than either the Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan or the BMW 7-series. Prices for the E-class start at about $50,000 while the 7-series prices start at about $76,000.

At that price, it could also compete against cars like the Chrysler 300 and Buick Lucerne or smaller luxury cars like the BMW 3-series and Audi A4.

Hyundai Genesis
Safety
Hyundai has emphasized safety features, such as side airbags and electronic stability control, in its cars and SUVs.
The Genesis will have those features, including a total of eight airbags. It will also have active head restraints that move forward in the event of a rear collision to protect occupants from whiplash.

Hyundai Genesis
Designed for the U.S.
Hyundai has long offered large rear-wheel-drive cars in Asia, but this is the first time the company will sell such a car here. The Genesis was designed specifically with the highly competitive U.S. market in mind.
In its least expensive form, the Genesis will come with a 3.3-liter, 268-horsepower, V6 engine. The top-of-the-line Genesis will have a 4.6-liter V8 capable of producing an estimated 368 horsepower.

The car will have a manually-shiftable 6-speed automatic transmission.

(hyundai_genesis.jpg)

(hyundai_genesis_interior.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hyundai_genesis.jpg (27KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments hyundai_genesis_interior.jpg (24KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/8/2008 3:33 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Hyundai's half-priced Mercedes

It actually doesn't look too bad, IMO. The grille is a little weird looking, probably more suitable for their home market.

This car is probably going to really test how ready Hyundai is to be tackling the upscale market. It'll also test how people still see Hyundai as a car maker.
#103932 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/8/2008 4:55 PM
C280Matt

I saw a commercial for the Hyundai SUV, where some lady with a Lexus RX330 walks up and mistaked the Hyundai for her own car.
#103941 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/8/2008 6:21 PM
cmitch
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Hyundai's half-priced Mercedes

Hyundai is a competent competitor, unlike the early days, and their reliability is much better than in the past. I remember when my father-in-law built wrecks and he did several Hyundai Excell's. What a piece of crap that was. Basically a boxed off Chevy Chevette.
#103963 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/8/2008 6:41 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

From the outside, a perfect amalgam of Benz & Lexus.

From the inside, 100% Benz.  Wow.

Doesn't take them long, does it?

And yes, they're a far more formidable competitor than ever before.

Mercedes is going to have to go back to round headlights soon  

#103968 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/9/2008 11:01 AM
Misfit

Marsden - 1/8/2008 6:41 PM

From the outside, a perfect amalgam of Benz & Lexus.

From the inside, 100% Benz. Wow.

Doesn't take them long, does it?

And yes, they're a far more formidable competitor than ever before.

Mercedes is going to have to go back to round headlights soon

I will wait & see - looks aren't everything -

I have driven a lot of Hyundai's - brakes - suspension accel - none of it is there

#104042 - in reply to #103968
Author
Posted 1/9/2008 11:19 AM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD

^^^ I agree. Copying is one thing, engineering is another. But with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty....makes you wonder. Where is Motoren, doesn't he drive a Hyundai? Lets get some honest feedback from him.

Call me a snob, but I won't be giving up my E class for a Genesis based purely on snob appeal.
#104043 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/9/2008 4:44 PM
AsianML

Roch207 - 1/9/2008 11:19 AM ^^^ I agree. Copying is one thing, engineering is another. But with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty....makes you wonder. Where is Motoren, doesn't he drive a Hyundai? Lets get some honest feedback from him. Call me a snob, but I won't be giving up my E class for a Genesis based purely on snob appeal.
I honestly don't see any current owners in the current E-Class or 5-Series market going to dump their cars for the Genesis. It might appeal to those who are more in the upper C-Class segment looking to get a little more for the money.
#104089 - in reply to #104043
Author
Posted 1/9/2008 8:30 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

I dont think anyone's seriously suggesting that any Hyundai is a substitute for a Mercedes.

More likely, they're substitutes for Hondas and Toyotas.

But they are copying the look.  And why not?  I'm sure it sells.

#104110 - in reply to #103914
Author
Posted 1/10/2008 8:02 PM
C280Matt

They look okay but aren't the same as a benz. Of course I've never driven one, so maybe they are in fact the perfect car and I should buy one right now!

#104332 - in reply to #103914
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1