Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : Original Mercedes

Page 1 of 1 1
Original Mercedes
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/27/2008 6:40 AM
greybrick

Date registered: Dec 1899
Original Mercedes

'Original Mercedes'...I've seen that term a lot lately. Like with most ebay definitions does this mean that it was originaly a

Mercedes design or part and now one can buy an original copy?

Edited by greybrick 10/27/2008 7:07 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/27/2008 6:50 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Original Mercedes

greybrick - 10/27/2008 5:40 AM 'Original Mercedes'...I've seen that term a lot lately. Like with most ebay definitions does this mean that it was originaly a Mercedes design or part and now one can buy an original copy? .

Every time I've seen the term, it is meant to imply that the vehicle is 'All Original'. No aftermarket add ons or crap second rate parts.

#134657 - in reply to #134596
Author
Posted 11/1/2008 9:40 AM
greybrick

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Original Mercedes

cmitch - 10/27/2008 4:50 PM

greybrick - 10/27/2008 5:40 AM 'Original Mercedes'...I've seen that term a lot lately. Like with most ebay definitions does this mean that it was originaly a Mercedes design or part and now one can buy an original copy? .

Every time I've seen the term, it is meant to imply that the vehicle is 'All Original'. No aftermarket add ons or crap second rate parts.

Thanks Cmitch, I was thinking more in terms of available parts and possibly Mercedes use of German and European TradeMark laws. Looking through various European sites I see both new and used parts described as 'original' Mercedes with some other information about an huge trade in 'non-original' parts available from out source countries, maybe being made on Mercedes moldings. From an interest in fuel appliances another famous German product, the PetroMax lantern is described as 'original' and 'German';

http://www.petromax.de/petromax_en_home.php?site=home&lang=en

In some sense the Petromax use of original and German is misleading in that a Petromax lantern hasn't been manufactured in Germany for about 15 years. All parts other than maybe the Schott Pyrex globe of a Petromax are made and assembled in China.

When Mercedes uses the term 'original' does this similarly mean that the Mercedes parts were originaly designed and engineered in Germany and are now out sourced from various off shore suppliers including China, India, etc. I guess my question is how much of a current Mercedes vehicle or it's component parts are 'Made in Germany' or are we basicly buying good quality inexpensive Chinese parts and paying a hefty surcharge for German quality control, engineering specifications and Trademark.

#135094 - in reply to #134657
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1