Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : changing gears

Page 1 of 1 1
changing gears
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/5/2009 4:30 AM
dagneto

Date registered: Dec 1899
changing gears

hi,

i often change gears while travelling at about 60 - 80 km/h to lower gears to aid in braking the car more effectively... this is easy to do in a manual car as I can control the gear that it changes to.

however, with the semi automatic car, the gearbox seem to change from say 5 to 3 or 4 to 2 which is the wrong gear (well, in my opinion anyway). would this damage the gearbox?

on some occasions, after the gear changes and i notice that it is the wrong gear, i would then quickly change it to suit. is that ok? again, will this damage the gearbox / programming of the car?

thanks in advance.
dagneto
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/5/2009 7:28 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: changing gears

What model do you drive? Are you saying that when you use TouchShift, it skips a gear going from 5-3, rather than 5-4-3? Are you holding the shift lever or just nudging it?

The ECU won't let the car downshift into a gear that is unsafe for the engine. So it won't be possible to overrev the engine upon downshift, unless you were really beating the heck out of it and did something stupid.
#140047 - in reply to #139985
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1