Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : MBUSA Offers Buyouts

Page 1 of 1 1
MBUSA Offers Buyouts
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 4:29 PM
firstmb

Date registered: Dec 1899
MBUSA Offers Buyouts

Mercedes-Benz has offered voluntary buyouts to hundreds of veteran employees at its U.S. corporate headquarters in Montvale as part of a worldwide cost-cutting by its corporate parent, DaimlerChrysler.

Workers first learned of a planned restructuring in a letter sent by company officials a couple of weeks ago, and that was followed by a second letter Monday requesting volunteers for a buyout.

Specific details of the terms will not be available until Monday in meetings workers will have with human resources, spokeswoman Donna Boland said. They will have 45 days to accept or reject the offer.

Buyouts will be offered to all employees with at least 10 years of service with the company, Boland said. She did not know the number affected, except that "it's certainly not half. I don't think it's that large a chunk." Mercedes has 980 administrative employees in Montvale, where it has had its corporate headquarters for more than 25 years.

DaimlerChrysler announced this year that it was "undertaking a pretty extensive worldwide initiative to increase the effectiveness of the organization," Boland said.

DaimlerChrysler AG was created in 1988 through Stuttgart, Germany-based Daimler-Benz AG's $33 billion acquisition of the Chrysler Corp., the smallest of Detroit's Big 3 automakers.

"Obviously, it is going to impact us," Boland said. "Part of it is a reduction of the workforce. It will be based on years of service, and won't be all employees."

The company has "no target" number, Boland said. "We are putting this out there and we'll see what employees elect to take advantage of this. We're not working toward a number. On the other hand, if we only get three takers, that won't do a hell of a lot to increase our efficiency."

This is at least the third staff reduction in Montvale in the past 18 years.

In 1988, 26 veteran mangers accepted early-retirement buyouts as part of an initiative to "reduce administrative costs and reshape the company."

Three years later, Mercedes eliminated 113 jobs, or 8 percent of its workforce in the United States, in an attempt to improve profitability.

News of the latest cuts came on the same day DaimlerChrysler announced that worldwide sales of Mercedes passenger cars had increased by 17 percent in May 2006, to a record 112,700 units. U.S. sales were up 21 percent.

At the same time, Chrysler division sales had a double-digit drop, despite an increase in incentives.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 5:17 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: MBUSA Offers Buyouts

firstmb - 6/8/2006 3:29 PM DaimlerChrysler AG was created in 1988 through Stuttgart, Germany-based Daimler-Benz AG's $33 billion acquisition of the Chrysler Corp., the smallest of Detroit's Big 3 automakers.

Daimler-Chrysler was created in 1998.

#20478 - in reply to #20457
Author
Posted 6/16/2006 3:31 AM
taroliw

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: MBUSA Offers Buyouts

cmitch - 6/8/2006 2:17 PM

Daimler-Chrysler was created in 1998.

Completed, yes... but announced in 1996 -- I remember because I almost cancelled my order for a W208 on the news. My head still twists from side to side and I involuntarily mutter "what the hell were they thinking?" when I think about it.

#23744 - in reply to #20478
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1